The goal of our High Performance Athlete Development model is “to provide a structured platform for athletes to develop and progress in to world-class triathletes.”
Our key underlying philosophies of this model are:
- Development takes time, hard work and perseverance.
- Age and stage appropriate challenge and support is required and can’t be rushed.
- The learned habits of world-class athletes are necessary for success.
We will implement these philosophies by:
- Providing fun and social group environments for training, for athletes to challenge each other and learn together.
- Facilitating learning opportunities to teach athletes the learned habits of excellence and an understanding of what it takes to succeed in Triathlon.
- Building our communication channels so our community knows what is available.
- We will build resources and learning opportunities for clubs, coaches and parents.
- We will advocate for age and stage appropriate events.
- We will provide insights and access to the High Performance environment at appropriate times.
Our full athlete development model will be available here soon.
Triathlon NZ has four Regional Youth Academies (RYAs) are integral in the delivery our athlete development model. These provide young aspiring athletes social, and structured development environments within regions. RYAs are run by coaches who are directly connected to our High Performance Unit.
Each RYA has its own structure and affiliation with local Triathlon Clubs, however across New Zealand RYAs have regional camps. These 2-5 day opportunities allow young athletes to experience fun, challenging learning environments with their peers. See here for the calendar of regional camps.
For any athlete development questions contact our High performance athlete development leader Amy Taylor on email@example.com