If circumstances prevent the athlete travelling to New Zealand to attend the selection event, they may still be considered under special circumstance selection. However, the following must apply to the athlete:
- Must be a Triathlon New Zealand member (TRIBE) and New Zealand citizen.
- Must complete the online application within 2 working days of the final New Zealand selection race of that discipline.
- Member of an affiliated Triathlon New Zealand club*
Consideration will be given to athletes who are unable to compete in (or finish) the selection event, however, there is a limited capacity for these considerations and selection will be at the discretion of the Age Group Selection Committee.
- have entered a selection event and their performance was adversely affected by illness/injury/mechanical problems. The athlete must complete and submit their Special Circumstance Form online within 2 working days of the selection race that they had entered and for which their performance was affected.
- are unable to compete at any selection event due to health/surgery/other extenuating circumstances. The athlete must complete and submit their special circumstance form online within 2 working days of the final selection race of that discipline.
- have raced in Junior Elites or Under 23 selection races but not age group selection races will not receive automatic selection into age group teams. For such athletes, a Special Circumstance Form must be completed within 2 working days of the final age group selection event of that discipline.
*It’s not compulsory for athletes to belong to an affiliated club but Triathlon New Zealand encourages all athletes to.